Over 80,000 results of candidates who wrote the just concluded JAMB examination had been retained for thorough review and investigation on various unwholesome acts as reportedly covered by CCTV cameras installed in each of the Accredited Examination Centres Nationwide.
JAMB Registrar, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, had informed the public over 2weeks ago that some results withheld would be released daily and in batches once the candidates have been proven unacquainted to any suspicious act.
However, On Wednesday, 14th June 2017 the Registrar announced the blacklisting of 48 centres alleged to have connived with candidates to carry out “organised” Examination Malpractice during the UTME.
He told reporters during a news conference that result of 50,000 candidates alleged to have engaged in various unapproved examination practices has been officially CANCELLED.
Prof. Oloyede confirmed the decision was eventually taken after an extended meeting with External Examiners and other Stakeholders charged with the conduct of the examination.
The President, Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi has approved the decision by JAMB. He told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) today in Lagos that the owners of the blacklisted centres should also be prosecuted.
The ASUU president stated that the development by the Board was actually a step in the right direction, saying it is “the way to go.”
“What JAMB has done in that respect is a welcome development and a good decision. I will not expect it to stop at just blacklisting of such centres”
“The Leadership of the board should go a step forward by prosecuting owners of the affected centre in order to serve as a deterrent to others.”
“This measure will further ensure that the integrity of the examination cannot be undermined.” The ASUU boss concluded.